The row of shophouses at Syed Alwi Road towards Victoria Street (which runs more or less parallel to Jalan Besar). Syed Alwi Road is a rather long road. The row at this stretch has decorative "mirror" motifs with windows as the reflective panel instead of mirrors. Similar designs (though not for windows) can be found in other shophouses in the area, like the one below along Jalan Besar.
According to a write-up by the National Heritage Board, Syed Alwi Road was near a swampland (as late as 1924). Built in 1850s, it was originally named Jalan Bahru. Later, it was named after Justice of Peace Syed Alwi, son of Syed Ali who bought 70 acres of swampy land around the region, and noted for constructing wells at Selegie Road and even in Telok Ayer and Mohamed Ali Lane in Chinatown, to provide water for the public. Read about its history here: http://www.nhb.gov.sg/places/trails/jalan-besar/trail-sites/historic-sites/syed-alwi-road.
Mirror, mirror on the wall... Decorative motifs on a row of shophouses at corner of Kitchener Road where it meets Jalan Besar.